Central Calender of Math Student Activities
Department Colloquium Series
(Dr. Moa Apagodu and Dr. Kevin Beanland Organizers)
The 2011-2012 academic year speakers.
Professor Henning S. Mortveit November 4, 2011
The 2010-2011 academic year speakers.
- Professor Adrian Rice of October 15, 2010
- Professor Shawn Fallat November 5, 2010
Professor Rafal Goebel November 12, 2010
- Professor Richard Stanley of MIT, April 8, 2011
- ProfessorJoel Hamkins of College of Staten Island, SUNY, Novemebr 13, 2009,
"Fun and paradox with large numbers, logic and infinity"
- Professor Thomas Schlumprecht of Texas A&M University, January 29, 2010,
"Non Uniform Sampling of Bandlimited Functions via Gaussians, and Applications to Signal processing"
The Colloquium Series for the Fall and Spring Semester of 2008-2009 Academic year however was a huge success. It had the following outstanding speakers and the topics they covered:
For more detail check the Colloquium series page
- Professor Susan Goldstine of St. Mary's College of Maryland, April 24, 2009, "The Discovery of Non-Euclidean Geometry".
- Professor Ben Fitzpatrick of Loyola Marymount University, March 27, 2009, "Ecological Systems Modeling of College Drinking".
- Professor Joseph Diestel of Kent State University, November 21, 2008, "Sums".
- Professor Doron Zeilberger of Rutgers University, September 26, 2008, "Some Profound Thoughhts about the Centipede Game".
- Analysis Seminar Series (Fridays 12-1 pm, Dr. Kevin Beanland, Organizer)
The VCU Analysis seminar series is devoted to studying topics in analysis, functional analysis, complex analysis and applied analysis. It will be held in the open meeting place, Harris Hall 4th floor.
- Biomathematics Seminar Series( Fridays 12:00-1:00 pm, Dr. Rebecca Segal, and Dr. Angela Reynolds,Organizers)
The VCU Biomathematics seminar series is devoted to studying mathematics and its application to biology and medicine. It will be held in the open meeting place, Harris Hall 4th floor.
- Discrete Mathematics Seminar Series (Tuesdays 1:00-1:50 p.m, Dr. Dan Cranston and Dr. Craig Larson, Organizers.) It will be held in Harris HallRoom 4119 most frequently.
The VCU Discrete Mathematics seminar is devoted to studying topics in discrete mathematics (algebra, combinatorics, and graph theory) and their applications.
- Virginia Operator Theory and Complex Analysis Meeting
Saturday, November 2,2012..
- Discrete Dynamics Seminar (Friday, 1-2 pm Dr, Candace Kent and Dr. David Chan)
Department Social Events
The Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics has a Departmental Tea every Friday from 2-3 pm. Come and join us at the Math Commons, Harris Hall 4th floor.
Weekly Mathematics Events Website: http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/DiscreteMathSeminar/flyer.html
VCU was selected to host the 2012 Progress in Difference Equations Meeting.
May 13-18, 2012